Sunday, June 29, 2008

Food: Best and the Worst

I am a picky eater. It sucks.

In my quest to become healthier, I've tried analyzing what I need to eat, and what I don't need to eat in order to increase muscle mass and decrease body fat. I have the metabolism of a cheetah, which means I can pretty much eat whatever I want and never gain weight. This is both a blessing and a curse. Because I'm TRYING to gain weight (good weight, mind you), this genetic "blessing" has doomed me for years. However, I also know that my metabolism is bound to slow down eventually, so I might as well try to set up good habits now so it won't be a huge problem when I hit middle-age.

I've stumbled across a few articles that are pretty eye opening when it comes to things you think might be good for you and are actually quite terrible.

The article on the 20 worst foods in America can be found by clicking here.

My favorite has to be Number 13 - The Worst Salad. Bud Light's take on this entree is nothing short of spectacular:



Onto the 125 best foods in a Supermarket. When you go shopping at your local Stop & Shop, Kroger, Ralphs, Piggly Wiggly, etc., keep an eye out for this stuff. Small changes here and there can make quite the difference over time. For example: though I grew up eating two peanut butter sandwiches every day on white bread, I've recently made the switch to Wheat Bread, and natural Peanut Butter. After about a week, I got over the fact that white bread "tastes better" and now I actually like the taste of wheat bread.

Today's diet tip of the day: give up soda. Seriously. If you eat out for lunch and dinner, get water. Save yourself the 2 dollars (or whatever it is they charge for soda these days), and save your stomach from unnecessary calories and your teeth from like 40 grams of sugar. If you need the caffine fix, GET OVER IT. Once you start exercising on a daily basis, you'll have more than enough energy!

No comments: